Sunday, August 25, 2019

My New Handmade Mixed Media Victorian Collage Santa Tree Art Doll



As mentioned in my previous Linda's Blog post this summer I decided I needed some new Christmas decorations and felt really inspired to make some.  And make them I did.  At last count I was at 27 different creations so, as you can imagine, I have a lot to show you.

I just love creating Victorian inspired Santa and Mrs. Claus dolls and have wanted to create some with paper-clay heads affixed upon Styrofoam Christmas trees for some time.  Kind of a combination Santa doll and Christmas tree all in one.


So, they were the first dolls I decided to create - starting with the Santa.




So, without further ado shown above is my mixed media Victorian collage Santa tree art doll.

His body is comprised of a wood candle pedestal, Styrofoam tree and paper-clay head.  As I generally favor Victorian dolls it should comes as no surprise that he's a bit Victorian.


I sculptured his head out of paper-clay and painted his face with a combination of acrylic paints and watercolor paints.  I sculpted his eyebrows, hair,  beard and mustache out of modeling paste and then painted each. 

His hat is fashioned out of paper and sponge painted with metallic Christmas colors.  A sparkly red pompom and white trim sculpted out of modeling paste was added as well.


Collage papers were used for the tree and then sponge painted with Christmas colors.  Then I added paper arms and gloves and modeling paste trim for the sleeves.  Victorian graphic Christmas images were added to fill up the tree and his outfit.  Modeling paste was also used for the bottom of the tree and down the front of his shirt. 


I painted the unfinished wood candle pedestal metallic green and then sprayed it with white mica flakes.  I doubled a paper house garland I had and then wrapped it around the bottom of the candle to hold the potpourri I wanted to use along the base.  After adding the potpourri I added modeling paste along the bottom of the house graphic.


Shown above is a picture of the back of the Santa tree art doll.


The picture above is a close-up of his back embellishments.



The pictures above are close-ups of his right side and bottom.



The pictures above are close-ups of his left side and bottom.

I was really pleased with the way my Santa came together.  He stands 20" tall and is regal, elegant, and very Victorian.  Everything I hoped he would be.

Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment