Saturday, June 24, 2023

My Mixed Media Slow Stitching Pictures - Beach House Scene and English Cottage Kits



On my beach scene mixed media slow stitching picture adventure I mentioned that I was looking for beach or spring flower kits.

Even though I am a seasoned crafter I was new to slow stitching so I thought a kit with a picture of the finished item would be helpful.

So, I looked for some on Etsy and found two from PeaceOMind shop.  One was a "Beach House" scene kit and the other was an "English Cottage" scene kit.

Both contained houses and both had a diagram page for the scene.  The "English Cottage" description on Etsy also showed a picture of the cut fabrics and their placement on the picture. 

Plus, the description included a suggestion to watch the "PeaceOMind" video's on the Etsy seller, Chris Stuart, YouTube Video's page.  

Given how much I love house pictures I was instantly sold.  So, I ordered both.


The "Beach House" kit included the following:

This kit comes with a background piece of fabric 9”X 6". 
1: 9" X 6" piece of muslin fabric for base .
Fabric pieces 
Lace, ribbon, trims, buttons, charms, beads
Embroidery Floss, 6 strand
BONUS: a printed pattern


The "English Cottage" kit included the following:

This kit comes with a background piece of fabric 9" X 6".
1: 9" X 6" piece of muslin fabric for base .
Fabric pieces 
Lace, ribbon, trims, buttons, charms, beads
Embroidery Floss, 6 strand
BONUS: a printed pattern as seen above in photo 6.

The kits were shipped quickly which was much appreciated.

As I was ordering other slow stitching kits from Etsy sellers I was able to compare the contents of the kits to each other.  Some of the kits came with a lot of fabrics and embellishments.  These kits came with quite a few embellishments for the size of the finished picture, but were a little skimpy on the fabrics included and their sizes, given the price for the kits.  

However, they did include the pattern pieces sheet which none of the others did, which was helpful.

Plus, the "beach house" kit included two tiny sea shell embellishments and a star fish embellishment which I thought was perfect for my beach house scene. 

So, I decided to create a 5" by 7" art board picture for the "Beach House" and a 4" by 6" art board picture for the "English Cottage."

For both I ended up adding some fabrics from my stash and adding some embellishments from my stash, especially for the English cottage scene. 

I don't like to leave the back of my art board pictures unfinished so I decided to finish the sides and back of my pictures with fabrics - all of which I hand sewed.

As there is no right or wrong in slow stitching you are free to create and finish your project as you see fit.  Some crafters like to use iron on fusible double-sided adhesive paper.  It is used for bonding your fabric without the need for a stretcher frame or pinning. It definitely enhances your ability to create smooth appliqued collages. 

Other crafters like the natural look of creating a fabric collage without using fusing backing and stretching of their fabrics.  Some combine their hand sewn fabrics without fusing backing but opt to use a stretcher frame to enhance their hand sewing.

Since I was going to hang my picture on a wall I decided to use the fusible bonding and a stretcher frame.  I also decided to apply the fusible backing to the back of the whole fabric pieces that were included in the kit instead of just applying it to the individual fabric sections and images I was going to use for this picture.

While I was disappointed in the small amount of fabrics included with this kit by using some of my own fabrics and embellishments I was able to create two small mixed media slow stitching pictures.  

I was pleased with the results and hope you like my beach house scene and English cottage scene.

Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Written By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment