Friday, September 23, 2022

My New Mixed Media Beach House Diorama


Back in 2014 I decided to take the Artful Gathering Session 1 Class - Let's Go For A Ride by Julie Haymaker Thompson. 

This class taught you how to make a mixed media shadowbox "doggie" wall decoration, which was a lot of fun to make.   

Like other classes I've taken I usually make more than one item and this class was no exception.  I created two base shadowbox pieces but, for some reason, only used one of them for the class project.

So, when I was looking at my supplies for the Spring and Summer mixed media shadow box diorama's I wanted to create I decided to use the extra mixed media base I had created for this class.  

As you know, I always save everything. You just never know when you might need the perfect thing for the creation you are making.

This time I wanted to create a wall house decoration with a window beach scene shadowbox diorama, which is shown in the picture above.

Here, too, I decided to use scrapbook papers for the outside and inside of the front and back and all the sides versus sponge painting all of them, like I usually do.

I selected two scrapbook paper collections to use: P13 - Beyond The Sea Scrapbook Paper Collection and Graphic 45 - Catch of the Day Scrapbook Paper Collection as well as bits and pieces from other scrapbook papers as well.


I also decided to use mixed media trims along the house edges, alpaca roving for the bottom of the window frame to create a sand dune, paper flowers, and paper leaves and reeds to create the effect of sand dunes with beach flowers and reeds leading down to the beach.



I was really happy with the way this decoration came out and decided to hang it in my kitchen year round.  It looks great there and compliments the "Let's Go For A Ride" decoration I had made that is also hanging on that kitchen wall.


Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Written By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment