Saturday, August 07, 2010

What To Do With Old Potpourri - Re-purpose It!



My granddaughters always said I had the best smelling bathrooms. "BEST" smelling not "WORST" smelling! The reason being that I love using potpourri in them.

However, potpourri doesn't last forever and you have to replace it with new potpourri.  Well, since I never like to get rid of anything that I think I can reuse again I saved it all in plastic resealable bags until I ran out of room in my storage area.  Well, instead of disposing of all the plastic bags I had saved . I decided I should repurpose the old potpourri!

What do I mean by re-purpose it? Well, that's when you take something that had one particular use and turn it into something else for another use.

In this instance I took some Christmas Eve Yankee Boxed Potpourri that contained large potpourri elements that I had bought at Yankee Candle and turned it into a potpourri basket that could be used to decorate my home all year or just at the holidays.

How did I do that?  Well, it's fairly simple to do.

You take an old wicker basket and place Spanish moss along the inside of the basket so as to cover any openings in the sides of the basket. In this case my wicker basket was a rather large one as I had a lot of this particular potpourri.

Then I started layering the potpourri elements by row and gluing them together using the low temperature setting of a dual temperature glue gun.  When I had fully filled the basket and was pleased with the results I glued the final row in place. 

If you don't have as much potpourri as I did then you would line the basket with Spanish moss to the bottom of the basket using the low temperature setting of a dual temperature glue gun.

Then, using the low temperature setting, you would glue your first row of potpourri elements to the green floral foam.  You would continue adding layers of potpourri elements and gluing them in place until you had completely filled the basket and were pleased with the results. 

The potpourri smell isn't there anymore, but the basket looks nice. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment