Thursday, September 22, 2022

New Mixed Media Shadow Box Diorama Trio For The Summer


I've been crafting my whole life and love the Fall and Christmas holiday season.  As a result I have made more decorations for those two seasons than any other season or holiday.

The Fall and Christmas holiday season only lasts for 3 months from October to December so there are 9 other months that need decorations too.  

Over the years I started adding more decorations for the Winter, Spring and Summer months but always fell short on the Summer decorations for some reason.

So, I decided to make some additional mixed media shadow boxed dioramas for the Spring and Summer seasons.  Of course, I just made them and, of course, the Summer season is basically over.

God forbid I should ever make decorations ahead of the season....lol 

The three new diorama's shown in the picture above will be put away until the next Spring and Summer season.  It'll be a delayed viewing but be enjoyable anyway.

Usually for the shadowbox decorations I make I use wood shadow boxes and, generally, sponge paint them inside and outside for the backgrounds and sides.


This time, however, I decided to use scrapbook papers to cover the wood shadow boxes inside and outside and on all the sides.

I wanted all of these shadow box dioramas to have a 3D effect from the bottoms and sides of the shadow box so I cut some of the figures I wanted to use with bottom or side tabs and glued them in various positions within the 2" bottom and side areas of the shadow boxes.

I also wanted to use mixed media paper flowers, various types of fibers, alpaca roving with and without Angelina fibers, and various other mixed media effects to get the looks I wanted.


I just loved the Stamperia - Romantic Sea Dream Scrapbook Paper Collection and decided to use only this paper for the 4" x 4" wood shadow box diorama shown in the picture above.

For this mixed media shadow box I also used paper flowers.


Pictured above is the front and left hand side.


Pictured above is the front and right hand side.


Pictured above is the back and right hand side.


I wanted to create an ocean effect with various sea creatures swimming about for the second mixed media shadowbox diorama I wanted to create.  To do this I had to use images from several scrapbook paper collections I had bought.  

These included Reminisce - Mermaids Tale Scrapbook Paper Collection, Graphic 45 - Ocean Blue Scrapbook Paper Collection, Graphic 45 Ocean Blue Scrapbook Paper Collection, and Reminisce - The Little Mermaid Scrapbook Paper Collection.

For this mixed media shadow box I also used alpaca roving for the ocean floor and fiber trim along the outside edges.


Pictured above is the front and left hand side.


Pictured above is the front and right hand side.


Pictured above is the back and left hand side.


I loved the teal blue colors and retro maidens of the Authentique - Sea Maiden Scrapbook Paper Collection.  

I also used alpaca roving with Angelina fibers for the ocean floor and alpaca roving knotted for the front outside frame.  Mixed media teal green fiber trim was also used around the front edges.


Pictured above is the front and left hand side.


Pictured above is the front and right hand side.


Pictured above is the back of the shadow box.

I had a lot of fun with these mixed media shadow box dioramas and will be looking forward to bringing them out next spring.  It will be like discovering newly found decorations.  

For sure with these three and my other Spring and Summer decorations I now have more than enough decorations for the Spring and Summer seasons.  

Then again, I always say that - don't I....lol 


Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Written By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment