Wednesday, August 21, 2019

My New Handmade Mixed Media Art Doll - Meet Blossom


As mentioned in my previous Linda's Blog post, I Had To Change Her Face, when I was buying the wood doll kits for my Artful Gathering 2019 Session 2 "Beyond the Imaginarium: A Compendium of Holiday Merriment" class taught by Mary Jane Chadbourne in July I saw she was still selling her I  "The Imaginarium: Anthologies of an Art Doll" wood kits containing the wood to make three dolls.

So, and this should come as no surprise to all of you, I bought more.   I told Mary Jane I just wanted to "play."

Well, as you all know when I "play" at crafts and dolls I always go a little overboard.  Let's just say these three dolls inspired me to make some more mixed media dolls and crafts.  You'll see what I mean in all the following Linda's Blog posts.  Stay tuned - there will be a lot of them.

Now I know what you're all thinking; "Linda, you don't just go overboard - you go crazy.  Moderation is definitely not in your playbook!"

Guilty as charged, but I do have fun!


Blossom is a handmade 15" by 2" by 4" mixed media wood collage art doll who was painted a solid light teal blue color.  And, surprise, surprise I didn't sponge paint her, which I usually do.  Sometimes a little change-up is good - don't you think?


Her face is a graphic image that I just love and think suits her personality.  She's a little bit of a delicate flower, shy and timid but when you get to know her she's as loyal a friend as you'll ever have and generous soul.  She loves nature, harmony, animals and people.  She firmly believes that there is a "good person" in every soul that's just waiting to blossom.  You just have to nourish it.

So, it should come as no surprise to all of you that I named her "Blossom."


Her face is surrounded by brown wool roving that I tied in a bow at the back nape of her neck and at the bottom of the braid.  Her wood crown is embellished with various  graphic papers and chipboard stickers.

She has a silk hand dyed ribbon wrapped around her neck and tied in a bow that matches the two ribbons in her hair.


Her outfit consists of scrapbook paper embellishments as well as paper flower embellishments.  Her gloves are graphic images and her vest has been embellished with glitter dots, puffy paint dots, and metallic pen stitch lines.


The words: "A Friend Knows The Song In Your Heart and Sings It Back To You When You Have Forgotten The Words" are wrapped around her base.  Glitter Washi tape has been wrapped around her wood legs and wired glitter ribbon has been added to the top of her base and shaped around her legs.  Graphic scrapbook papers as well as mixed media fibers have also been wrapped around her base.


The back of her is embellished with two graphic words: "Memories Captured" as well as chipboard floral and butterfly graphics.


The picture above is a close-up of her back embellishments.


Pictured above is a close-up of the back bottom of her base.


The picture above is how she looks on her right side.


The picture above is how she looks on her left side.

I was pleased with the way she came out and think her face, colors, outfit and long hair braid suit her.  Hopefully, you all agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment