Friday, August 23, 2019

My New Handmade Mixed Media Art Doll - Meet Glinda



As mentioned in my previous Linda's Blog post, I Had To Change Her Face, when I was buying the wood doll kits for my Artful Gathering 2019 Session 2 "Beyond the Imaginarium: A Compendium of Holiday Merriment" class taught by Mary Jane Chadbourne in July I saw she was still selling her I  "The Imaginarium: Anthologies of an Art Doll" wood kits containing the wood to make three dolls.

So, as you well know from my previous Linda's Blog posts "play" I did.


Glinda is a handmade 12" by 2" by 5" mixed media wood collage art doll who was painted a solid royal blue color.  And, surprise, surprise I didn't sponge paint her, which I usually do.  Sometimes a little change-up is good - don't you think?


Her face is a graphic image that I just love and think suits her personality.  She just looks like sweetness and life to me.  Kind of like Glinda, the good witch from "The Wizard Of Oz."

She believes in the "goodness" of mankind and strives to do nothing but "good" acts of love, joy, and compassion. She is joyful, colorful, full of love for all living creatures and loves butterflies.  As far as she is concerned: "There is Beauty In Everything."

So, I named her "Glinda."


Her face is surrounded by dirty blond curly roving.  Her wood crown is embellished with various  graphic papers and butterfly chipboard stickers.

She has a creative embroidery ribbon trim with silk flowers wrapped around her neck, wrapped around the bottom of her crown, and running down the sides of her outfit. Silk ribbons tied in a bow adorn the bottom sides of her crown, her neck, the bottoms of her skirt and the top of her blouse.


Her outfit consists of scrapbook paper embellishments as well as graphic paper embellishments and silk ribbon butterflies.  Her hands are graphic images and her vest has been embellished with puffy paint dots, and metallic pen stitch lines, which also line the bottoms of her shirt, vest, skirt and two over-skirts.


The words: "Be Bold In The Dreams You Dream For Yourself" are wrapped around her base and embody her feeling in the "goodness" of mankind.  Glitter Washi tape has been wrapped around her wood legs.  Silk ribbon colorful butterfly garland has been added to the top of her base and shaped around her legs. Paper flowers also adorn the top of her base.


The back of her outfit is embellished with two graphic words: "Perfect and Treasured" which is how Glinda views everyone.  Scrapbook paper graphics and chipboard butterfly stickers also adorn the back of her outfit.

The phrase "There Is Beauty in Everything" embodies everything Glinda stands for and adorns the back of her base along with scrapbook paper graphics and chipboard butterfly stickers.


The picture above is a close-up of her back embellishments.


The picture above is how she looks on her right side.


The picture above is how she looks on her left side.

I was pleased with the way she came out and really feels she conveys "goodness."  I hope you would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment