Wednesday, August 28, 2019

My New Handmade Mixed Media Santa Art Dolls Trio - Meet Joe, Leo, and Sam



Years ago my mother was replacing her living room coffee table and end tables and throwing her old ones away.  They had a lot of lovely spindles on them and I thought it would be a waste to throw them away as they would make good pedestals for doll bases. Why throw something useful away when it can be re-purposed.

So, I asked my brother if he would take the tables apart and save the spindles, which he did.  I also asked him if he could add round wood bases to the spindles to create doll pedestals which he also did.

I also wanted him to drill holes in the tops so I could insert dowels to attach my doll bodies or heads.  Unfortunately the original spindles had metal pieces in the tops of some of them which made drilling new holes a little difficult.  He had to remove the metals first,

I've been saving the pedestals for a long time and thought this might be a good time to put my mother's old coffee table spindle pedestals to good use for the mixed media Santa art dolls I wanted to make.

Put them to use I did!


The pedestals my brother added were 3"round wood circles that were 1" high.  I wanted to create a basket of sorts on the bottom of the Santa's to add potpourri and other Christmas decorations so I decided to use some thick scrapbook paper strips to do this.  After painting the pedestal bases and inserting the dolls heads and bodies I would double the strips and glue them together so each side was finished and then glue them around the circle.  They would be perfect for what I wanted to do with these Santa's.


So, meet Santa Joe, Santa Leo, and Santa Sam.  In the picture above, Santa Leo is on the left,  Santa Sam is in the middle, and Santa Joe is on the right.





I created Linda's Blog posts containing details of all the various media used to create them and close-up pictures of each.  Just click on the links below:


Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment