Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Decorations In Our Family Room


One of the reasons I just love the Christmas season is that everything is just so festive. Lots of bright colors and lots of wonderful floral. 

In my house we have three fireplaces that I have loved decorating for over 20 years. I used to decorate all three of them, but that got to be a bit much so I scaled it back to the family room mantle and the dining room mantle which houses our carolers scene.  I posted about our carolers scene and dining room decorations yesterday.  

So, I thought you might like to see what our family room mantle looks like and what some of the other Christmas decorations are that are in our family room. 

Here's the mantle: 



There is a wreath in the center of the mantle and the evergreen floral that runs along the front of the mantle. 


Every Christmas season I reassemble the floral on this mantle and on my dining room mantle. Basically, I use a fake evergreen garland with a silk floral with berries wrapped around it.  I push several tacks onto the top edge of the mantle and then tie the fake evergreen garland to it.  The garland runs along the tops of the mantle and down about 2 feet on each side. 

Then I add plaid wired ribbon, three large silk poinsettias, several plaid wired ribbon bows, painted gold twigs, two large plaid wired cloth ribbons to the left and right sides of the fireplace just below the mantle, and paper clay miniature red apple ornaments. 

Behind the garland are many of my tall Santa's.  Some I have made, some my sister made, some were gifts from Jeff, and some hubby, I and my Mother and I bought at local craft shows. 



The really tall ceramic Santa and Mrs. Claus figurines were made by my sister.  



Besides all the tall Santa's that are on top of the mantle is a small feather evergreen tree that is attached to a large carved Santa spool.  Hubby and I bought this at a craft show years ago. There are miniature carved wood ornaments, ceramic ornaments, and miniature marsh-mellow smores that hang from it. 




Sitting below the mantle and in front of our wood stove are some of the big handmade dolls I made several years ago. 


In front of the wood stove is a handmade hand-painted wooden sled that we bought from one of our work friends several years ago. 


Then we have the large blue wood and cloth Santa doll that hubby and I made in August of 2002.  He stands 40" tall. 


On the right hand side of the mantle is the large red handmade hand-painted wooden Santa that hubby and I made in August 2002.  He stands 45" tall. 



Sitting atop our wood stove is a collection of tiny Santa's.  Some were ceramic Santa's that I painted one year, some were gifts from my Mother, some were gifts from relatives.  The red and green doily was purchased at a local school craft show that my sister, sister-in-law, Mother and I went to last year. 



On the left hand side of the mantle is another handmade hand-painted wooden sled that we bought from one of our work friends several years ago. 



To the left of that is the "Count Down To Christmas" handmade hand-painted wooden fireplace that my brother gave to us several years ago. 



Sitting atop the entertainment unit in our family room are a Santa and Rudolph that I got on a shopping trip one Fall with my sister-in-law and two nieces.  It was cold that day, but it was a wonderful shopping trip and one I will always remember.  Between the two is a snowman that is meant to be a Christmas card holder, but I like him just where he is.



The entertainment unit in our family room is built in and contains several drawers.  I like to hang some of the ornaments that I handmade from it. 



To the right of our family room mantle is a wooden desk with an upper cabinet.  Sitting atop that is a silk floral arrangement that I made in April of 2003 and it is about 24" wide. 


To the left of the silk floral is one of my handmade Santa make-do's and designs called "A Little Bit of Country, Santa" and two of the counted cross-stitch shadow boxes that my brother and I made last year.



To the right of the silk floral is one of my handmade Santa make-do's and designs called "A Little Bit Primitive, Santa" and two of the counted cross-stitch shadow boxes that my brother and I made last year.



Here's our tree with all the handmade decorations.  I'll be writing about this in another post so stay tuned for that article. 


Above the wet bar are two wall shelves from which I've hung 5 ceramic Santa heads that my sister hand-painted and gave to me one year, two wired ribbon bows, and a green felt garland strip. 



On the wet bar are pictures of some of our relatives.  Watching over them is "Isabella Angel" who is one of my handmade wooden angel designs



Also on top of the wet bar is another one of the pine-cone baskets that I made in October of 2002.  The pine-scones here were added to a stained wooden crate. 



I hope you have enjoyed seeing our family room Christmas decorations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment