Monday, July 11, 2016

Gotta Love Beautiful Fans - My Fan Tutorial, Video's and How-To's Pinterest Board

Image Courtesy of  The Metropolitan Museum of Art 
Date:ca. 1750
Culture:Spanish
Medium:Paper, paint, ivory, gilt
Dimensions:22 1/2 x 11 3/4 in. (57.2 x 29.8 cm)
Classification:Fans
Credit Line:Bequest of Mary Clark Thompson, 1923
Accession Number:24.80.5

I can remember as a child playing with the Victorian fans, similar to the one shown in the picture above,  from my great, great Aunt Flossie and my Grandmother.  They were just beautiful and I loved opening and closing them.  Of course, I ended up breaking one and that was the last time I was allowed to play with them.  To pacify me my mother bought me a little plastic fan that wouldn't break as quickly.  However, over time break it did.  I still have that broken fan somewhere as well as a wooden fan from my grandmother.  I don't know what happened to my great, great Aunt Flossie's Victorian fans.

Beautiful fans have been a fashion accessory for awhile.  After all who can resist a woman wearing a beautiful Rococo, Edwardian, or Victorian dress holding a beautiful fan. I would love to see some of the beautiful fan pictures that I've pinned to my Beautiful Fans Through The Ages Pinterest board. They're just beautiful works of art all unto themselves - don't you think?  I have a few hundred pictures of these beautiful and historic fans from some of the museum websites I like to visit and am always looking for more.  If you'd like to see some of these beautiful works of art please click here.  Be sure to click through to the respective museum page to see more of the beautiful fans in their respective museum collection.


While I can't recreate such beautiful works of art perhaps these tutorials, video's and how-to's will show me how to make one.

If you love my Fan Tutorial, Video's and How-To's board please follow my board by clicking on the link above.


No comments:

Post a Comment