Sunday, October 30, 2016

Rug Making Tutorials, Video's, Patterns and How-To's Pinterest Board


When I was a teenager I used to accompany my mother up to the wool mills in Lowell where she could get wool for the braided rugs she liked to make. This was when original wool and thick, waxed thread was used to create handmade rugs.

I can remember her cutting the wool into strips and them feeding them through a red and green colored clamp that she attached to a table. With the help of 3 braid aids she was able to create a tight braid for the rug she was making.

I was surprised that her first braided rug was such a large rug. It was a 11' by 12' oval rug for our family room. Once she had her braided pieces she would spend hours on the floor stitching her rug together with the thick, wax thread. It was difficult to do and she inevitably wound up with backaches and cuts in her hands and fingers from the wax thread.

However, the end results were just beautiful and her rugs lasted the family for several decades.

I loved watching her do this and have thought from time to time that I might like to make a handmade wool rug on my own. Unfortunately it would take a lot of time which is a commodity for me these days. Perhaps when I finally do get a chance to make a rug the tutorials, video's and how-to's on my "Rug Making Tutorials, Video's, Patterns and How-To's" Pinterest board will come in handy.



If you love my Rug Making Tutorials, Video's, Patterns and How-To's board please follow my board by clicking on the "Follow On Pinterest" link above.

Have fun making your rugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment