Thursday, December 05, 2013

My New Front Door Christmas Hanging Silk Floral Spray Tower


One of the things my sister and I LOVE to do is SHOP. And, when we get together well, shop we do. Shop til we drop that is.

Well, on my recent visit to Rock Garden Alpacas my sister made sure to include a day for shopping. Instead of going to the wonderful fabric store we had visited last year this time we were going to a local craft store. My sister had told me I was going to love it as it was like a combination A.C. Moore, Michaels, Joann's, and Homegoods put together.

She was right. I LOVED it. When we entered the store I knew right away I was in trouble. I didn't think we'd ever get out of the store - let alone out of the Christmas Department. Customers were looking at me as I was laughing and laughing and laughing. My sister had a huge smile on her face knowing "baby sister was right!"

For several years now we've put a large wooden old-fashioned Santa that hubby and I had made on the front door for Christmas. This year I wanted to change that as I thought the Santa, while wonderful, wasn't big enough and you couldn't really see him behind the storm door from the street.


I wanted something larger only I wasn't sure exactly what that should be. That is until I rounded the corner of the silk floral department and saw the most colorful 3 foot long red and green sparkling poinsettia silk floral stem. It was gorgeous.

I thought it was perfect for the front door and that three of these silk floral stems in a tower arrangement would be perfect for the front door. I had also seen some long glittery green grass silk floral stems I liked and thought that turned upside down they'd make a great finish for the bottom of my long silk floral spray tower. And, of course there would be a large wired floral bow.

I asked "baby" sister what she thought and she said it would be perfect for the front door. With that kind of encouragement how could I not buy the Christmas silk floral?

"Baby" sister started laughing and I knew right away what she was laughing about. I had my carriage in front of me in the aisle and I could not fit anything else into the carriage. Of course, when I looked at her carriage I, too, started laughing. Neither one of us could fit anything else into our carriages. We kept telling ourselves that we needed all these craft supplies and decorations. And, how could we beat these prices? That's what we told ourselves. What would we tell our hubbies?

As we were standing in line at the register the woman behind me asked me what I was going to do with the 3 glittery silk floral stems. I told her I wanted to create a Christmas floral spray tower for my front door and thought the glittery silk floral stems in a tower arrangement would be perfect.She thought it was a great idea and told me she was going to buy some for her house.


This past weekend when hubby and I were putting up the Christmas decorations I decided to make the large Christmas floral spray for the front door.

The first thing I did was flattened all three of the silk floral stems as I knew the space between the front door and the storm door was only about 3" or so and they needed to fit into it.

After flattening the floral stems I positioned the 2nd one under the first with the wire stems lined up and the floral petals nicely displayed. Once satisfied with the positioning I tightly tied my 2 wire stems together with a wire twisty. Then I lined the 3rd one up just under the 2nd and tied the three together with a wire twisty once I was satisfied that the floral petals were nicely arranged.

I had bought two long green glittery grass silk floral stems that I wanted to turn upside down to finish the bottom of the long silk floral tower spray. I measured the length of the glittery grass to see how much of the wire stems would be covered and how much of the wire stems I would need to cut off.

The two bottom floral stems were too long. I cut about 6" off the bottom of the lower two stems and then wrapped floral tape around the ends to cover the sharp wire cut end and help secure the floral stems together. Once I was happy with the layout I secured the floral stems with more wire twists and floral tape in several places along the wire stem line.

Then I turned the glittery grass stems upside down and lined them up side by side on the bottom of the spray making sure to cover the three silk floral wire stems with my glittery grass. When I was happy with the glittery grass arrangement I tied them to the back of the spray in several places with wire twists and floral tape.

I was pleased by the way my spray was turning out. It was very colorful and very big. About 1 1/2 feet wide and 4 feet long. For sure it would cover the front door and be seen from the street.

I had chosen a 2" wide plaid wire ribbon for the bow. Instead of making a multi-looped bow I decided to cut my wire ribbon in half and make two bows with two long loops each. While I prefer multi-looped bows I knew they'd be too puffy for the 3" between the front door and the storm door. I tied the two bows where the floral stems met the glittery grass.

The last step was to fasten a loop out of wire about 3" from the top of the spray so it could hang on the nail on the front door.


Both hubby and I were pleased with the way the silk floral had turned out. You definitely could see it through the storm door and, best of all, you could see it from the street.




Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Written By Linda Walsh of Linda Walsh Originals, Linda Walsh Originals E-Patterns, and Linda's Blog. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! It came out really nice and looks wonderful on the door.....

    ReplyDelete