Thursday, December 05, 2019

Victorian Christmas Illustrations From The Harper's Young People Illustrations Book From 1889


I decided that one of my all time favorite illustrations that I saw in the Harper's Young People Illustrated Books was the one that appeared on page 97 of the December 29, 1888 weekly.


I love it for three reasons: 1) The most adorable Santa figure I've seen;


2) The looks of anticipation on all the children's faces; and


3)  The ominous faces in the icicles.  How amazing is this illustration and the anxiousness of the children with Santa holding the key to the Christmas box filled with toys.  Can't you just feel the anticipation of the children.


The illustration above appeared in the December 22, 1888 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated Book on page 93.  It was the picture for the song "A Christmas Carol" by P.A. Schnecker with words by Margaret E. Sangster.

When I blew the illustration up on the computer I couldn't help but notice the beautiful details of the angel as well as the church on the right.  And, you all know how much I love churches and are drawn to them.


This was me many times as a youngster while singing in the choir of my church.  The holidays was always my favorite time for singing.  I just loved the Christmas carols and loved the joy in the room that I felt when everyone in the congregation was singing as well.

The illustration above was on the cover of the May 18, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated Book on page 417.  It was entitled "Singing in the choir - See Page 418."


It certainly wouldn't be Christmas without a picture of the Virgin Mary and child  so I was so happy to see the beautiful depiction above and illustration above from the front cover of the January 5, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated Book on page 114.  It's entitled "Lord, I Have Nothing To Give." and was drawn by Jessie Shepherd for the "Lord I Have Nothing To Offer" Poem by Margaret E. Sangster which appeared don page 114.

How beautiful is this illustration?  I just love it an hope you do too.


Merry Christmas and blessings of this glorious season to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment