Friday, October 30, 2015

Who Doesn't Love Turkeys and Thanksgiving - Or Is It The Pies?



Included in my love of Fall crafting and decorating is Thanksgiving.  After all - who doesn't love turkeys and Thanksgiving?  Or is it the pies we all love?

With Thanksgiving comes crafting turkeys and pilgrims - both of which I have created over the years.  I love them all but my all time favorite Thanksgiving decoration is a BIG wood craft that my husband and I made many, many years ago. It's a wood turkey who has become part of our Thanksgiving decorating tradition.

He stands 34" tall and I call him "Give Me Turkey Talk!"

He was made based upon a Tattered Treasures design and is an all wood "sponge" painted turkey. He does have some cloth associated with him, but that is to decorate his beautifully colored feathers.

"Give Me Turkey Talk!" is actually everything you'd want in a turkey. Meaty, colorful, silent, and festive.

He also was the wood craft I learned how to "sponge" paint on. After doing it once I absolutely fell in love with the way multiple paint colors can be applied using an ocean sponge. It has definitely become my favorite way to paint.

I really think he came out great and I just love the "sponged" blue and brown colors of his huge feet. Plus I love the brown "sponged" colors of his body.

Multiple different colored fabrics have been glued to his feathers to make him a very colorful turkey.

He is carry a "sponged" sign with a saying that every turkey in America wants everyone to do at Thanksgiving which is to "Eat Beef!"

His large pilgrim hat sits atop his head and "sponged" painted dowels are used for his skinny turkey legs. His Pilgrim collar has been "sponged" along the edges.

"Give Me Turkey Talk!" is a fixture in our Thanksgiving home and always takes his place next to the Thanksgiving table to welcome everyone to dinner.

Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without him.

I'm still trying to get him to clear the dishes. He hasn't quite learned how to do that yet, but I'm working on it.

Once he masters that then I'll see if he wants to learn how to cook.

At Thanksgiving time I, certainly, can use the help.

"Give Me Turkey Talk!" isn't the only Thanksgiving doll & craft I have made.  There have been many, many turkeys and pilgrims made over the years.  Some are cloth dolls, some are wood dolls, some are floral crafts, wreaths, woodcrafts, etc.  We have a wide variety to say the least.

You know I love crafting for Thanksgiving so it should be no surprise to you that I created a Thanksgiving crafts tutorials, video's and how-to's Pinterest board.


I just love Thanksgiving as there are so many different crafts you can make to decorate your house and hope you enjoy making some of these.

If you love my Thanksgiving Craft Tutorials, Video's, Patterns and How-To's board please follow my board by clicking on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment