Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Scottish Santa



Anyone who creates lots of items knows there are some that become your favorite creations. Some that are sentimental reminders of something. Some that you won't sell or part with. Such is the case with my Scottish Santa.

You see, I made him over 10 years ago and he has become one of the Christmas decorations I display every year.

The reason he's special to me is because he's Scottish. He's my tribute to my Grandmother - Nana who was born in Scotland and came over to this country in the early 1900's.

When I put him out every Christmas I like to think she's smiling down at me. Pleased with the remembrance.

I wish I could tell you who the designer was, but I can't. I made him from a kit that I bought over 10 years ago and there is nothing on any of the directions as to who the designer was.

And, foolishly, I didn't keep track of who I bought the kit from. I do know that the kit came with a linoleum sheet, metal band, unfinished wood spindles, ceramic head and hands.

He stands 15" with a cone shaped linoleum body the top of which his head is placed with upon. The metal band is secured against the bottom of the linoleum cone to support the dolls body. It is covered with the Santa's fur and hidden.

His hooded coat is made of black fur and he's holding black and gold bagpipes which were painted and made from wood spindles. His tam is made of red flannel as is his long scarf. And, he is carrying a long rod decorated with artificial garland and Christmas ribbons.

I just LOVE him. I only wish I knew who designed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment