Friday, December 14, 2012

It Was The Holiday Season After All -When Anything Magical Could Happen



As I was walking the aisles of BJ's I could hear someone's name being called and, funny thing, it sounded like mine. Someone was calling "Linda." For sure they couldn't have meant me. After all I didn't know anyone at BJ's other than hubby and he was in another aisle. So, I looked around, but there was no one here but me. Odd. So, I kept walking.

The closer I got to the end of the aisle the louder the name calling got. Someone was definitely calling for "Linda." I heard, "Over here, Linda. Look over here." I didn't see anything. Just a BIG white box.

Someone said, "I'm in here, Linda. Look in here." So, foolishly I did. Sitting inside the BIG white box was a HUGE (and I do mean HUGE) white teddy bear.

"Well, hello there," I said.

"Hello, Linda. I'm T.T.D. which stands for Theodore Teddy Bear. Theo for short."

I said, "Nice to meet you Theo. What are you doing in there and why are you calling my name?"

'Well," he said, "I've been waiting a long time for you. Waiting for you to take me home."

"Home to my house," I replied.

"Well, yes," he replied, "that is home after all isn't it?"

"Oh, Theo. I would LOVE to take you home with me. You're so adorable, so BIG, and so CUDDLY. Who could resist you? Certainly not me. Plus, you'd be perfect for my dining room North Pole Christmas scene. But...."

"Well," Theo said, "What's the problem?"

I replied, "Well, the last time I brought two wonderful nutcrackers home without consulting the "dollies" I nearly had World War III in my house. I wrote about it in my Linda's Blog in a  post entitled, "I Should Have Known Better!" The "dollies" were infuriated that I would bring non handmade dolls into the house without consulting them first. So, to keep the peace I apologized and said it wouldn't happen again."

"Oh," Theo replied, "I see. I wouldn't want to cause you any problems at home. I was just so hoping to finally find a home of my own and yours would be just perfect for me. There's so much love and laughter at your home. And, I'd heard that the "dollies" really do love it there. So much so it's really hard for them to leave when they're sold."

"I understand, Linda. It's okay. Maybe someone else will come along to love me."


Well, how could I just leave this beautiful, HUGE, cuddly, adorable bear brokenhearted. That would be horrible for me to do. After all he was just looking for a good home. And, it was Christmas after all. And, he'd be perfect in the dining room scene. Perhaps the "dollies" would understand. Or would they?.

I wasn't sure what to do. Theo was just so BIG, so HUGE, and so cuddly. And, thanks to me, heartbroken. I felt horrible.

Just then I caught sight of hubby out of the corner of my eye. He looked at me and saw my sad face and said, "What's the matter, darling? Are you okay? Are you sick?"

"No, no," I replied, "I'm not sick. I'm okay. I'm just talking to Theo."

But, that wasn't the truth. I really wasn't okay. So before he could ask me who Theo was I said, "I was talking to T.T.D. - Theodore Teddy Bear or Theo for short. He's this HUGE, beautiful, cuddly, white bear who's just looking for a home and I've crushed his heart by telling him we couldn't take him home with us."

To my delight and surprise hubby said, "Well, why not? He'd be perfect for the dining room North Pole Christmas scene - wouldn't he?"

I replied, "I could kiss you right here in the middle of BJ's for saying that, darling. It's just that...well, you remembered what happened with the nutcrackers - don't you?"

"Ah, I remember now. The "dollies" got in a snit that they weren't consulted first. Right?"

"That's right, darling."

So, he pulled out his cell phone and said, "Well, let's call them."

As hubby was talking to the "dollies" Theo and I were holding hands and pacing back and forth in the middle of the aisle at BJ's. His hand was five times the size of mine. But, boy was it soft.

As I looked into his big brown eyes I could see that he was holding back the tears. It nearly broke my heart. I knew I had to take him home with me whether the "dollies" agreed or not. Handmade or not didn't matter. Theo needed a loving home and we had one. He belonged with us.

Just as I was about to tell hubby we were taking Theo home with us whether the "dollies" liked it or not he got off the phone and said, "The dollies said to tell Theo - welcome home. We'd LOVE to have you join our family. You're HUGE and cuddly and adorable. Plus, you'd be perfect for the dining room North Pole Christmas scene."

I couldn't believe it. I should have - it was the holiday season after all - when anything magical could happen. If the "dollies" were here at BJ's I'd kiss all of them too. They're kindness towards Theo was just such a loving gesture.

Theo couldn't believe his ears. He was coming home with us. He was so excited he nearly knocked hubby and I over trying to hug us. What a scene this had to be for anyone looking down our aisle at BJ's. Two people jumping around, hugging and kissing a BIG white teddy bear. Unusual for sure. Then again it was the holiday season after all - when anything magical could happen.

Everyone who saw us carrying Theo out of BJ's couldn't help but smile. Theo had the biggest, happiest grin on his face. And, well, hubby and I couldn't stop smiling.

We decided to buy a big red bow for Theo at Michaels on our way home. It would be a perfect addition for Theo and be perfect for the dining room scene.

Theo was exuberant as he climbed into the back of the car and fastened his seat belt. We were, too. He was going home. As we were driving home I noticed that all the people in the cars that passed us had a BIG smile on their face when they saw Theo. He just made everyone so happy. How could you not instantly LOVE him? I knew the "dollies" had welcomed him on their phone call. But, they were unpredictable (they are human after all - or think they are so they act accordingly) so I wasn't quite sure what would happen when we got home.

As we pulled into the driveway I couldn't believe my eyes. All the "dollies" were there to greet him.  Theo could hardly get out of the car there were so many "dollies" surrounding him, hugging and kissing him.  I was so touched by this unbelievable outpouring of love from all the "dollies" to Theo.


The "dollies" had decided that Theo should sit in Nana's wooden chair for the dining room scene and had it all set up.

As Theo climbed into his chair all the "dollies" said in unison, "Welcome to our family, Theo."

Tears of joy were running down Theo's face. I was crying, hubby was crying, Theo was crying, and all the "dollies" were crying. And, he was perfect for the dining room North Pole Christmas scene. I knew it, hubby knew it, Theo knew it, and all the "dollies" did, too! It was the holiday season after all - when anything magical could happen.

e>

No comments:

Post a Comment