Tuesday, November 01, 2011

My Favorite BIG Christmas Dolls and Santa's



I know that over the years I've mentioned the BIG dolls hubby and I made. Some of my favorites are the BIG Santa's and Mrs. Claus that I get to display at the holidays.

The tall wooden old-fashioned Santa shown above is 45" tall and 16" wide. He was created based upon a "From My Heart To Yours" pattern by Heidi Markish. The pattern called for the Santa to be holding a box filled with candles and artificial garland. I opted for just a sign and gold bell instead. I named him "Kristopher."

He is made our of 3/4" pine wood. He is a "sponge" painted Santa and was painted a deep burgundy red for an "olde fashioned" appearance. The fur along the bottom of his outfit, along his shoulders, and on the edge of his hat are all "sponge" painted with ocean sponges. His pompom is "sponge" painted as well. And there is blue, black, white, and red "sponge" painting all along his edges.

Kristopher is carrying a "sponge" painted sign that says "An Olde Fashion Christmas" and is carrying a medal bell. His beard and moustache are painted with multiple colors and applied using "wispy" strokes.


My dining room fireplace display includes three of my BIG dolls. A large bear, tall Mrs. Claus, and tall Santa Claus all of which are shown in the picture above.

The large bear on the left in the picture above stands 36" tall and was created based upon a Design Farm pattern designed by Lori Gardner and Sharon Reynolds. I named him "Harry."

Most of the year Harry is proudly displayed in my front hall. He stands there quietly surveying all that is going on in our house. Harry never makes a fuss or disturbs anyone. He's just there to watch and observe. During the holidays he gets included with the rest of the decorations.

Harry is wearing my Grandson's baby jeans. If you look closely you can see the diaper snaps that run along the inside legs. Harry doesn't need to have a diapers changed - my Grandson definitely did.

Harry is also wearing one of my Grandson's thermal tops. His vest is lined and decorated with 3 triangle top pockets with buttons. It is also decorated with a tree with cotton puffs for snow and embroidered with zigzag stitching all along the edges.

He is wearing a large lined hunters cap with ear flaps. Harry's body is made of wood covered with flush felt. His feet are made from my brother's old white socks embroidered with DMC floss for ties so they loo like sneakers. Harry's face is embroidered and he has large brown animal eyes and a lighter color plush felt for his snout and the inside of his ears.

I just love the expression on Harry's face. Sometimes he appears sad to me and sometimes he appears happy. You never know. I think he's just happy to be out and on display. I think I'll go and give him a BIG hug.


My BIG Santa and Mrs. Claus wood and cloth dolls (shown in the picture above) were actually made to decorate the area just outside my mother's apartment.  They were both created based on Shari's Country Classic patterns by Shari Johnson.  Santa was supposed to be holding a bear and a list and Mrs. Claus was supposed to be holding a doll and small bear in the pocket of her apron.  I opted to have my Mrs. Claus holding a basket filled with Christmas cookie molds and Santa just holding a "naughty or nice" list.

When my mother lived in an apartment building for senior citizens each and every year my mother and I would decorate an area just outside her apartment for Christmas. She loved it as did all her neighbors. Many of them commented to her about how much they loved our display.

Santa is wearing his favorite pair of jeans, his favorite green striped shirt, and his favorite embroidered vest. He has multi-colored buttons on his shirt, white socks, and 1" pine painted black for his shoes. Rope is glued to the tops of his shoes for ties. He has a full beard, glasses, and is wearing a Christmas cap.

He is carrying a candy cane tucked into the waistband of his pants. You never know when he might get hungry, so he wants to be prepared.

Mrs. Claus is a wood and cloth doll that stands 36" tall.  She is wearing her favorite lace decorated Christmas dress and favorite coordinating apron with a pocket. She has to have the pocket as she never knows when she may need to carry something and one only has two hands.  She also has her favorite Christmas shawl wrapped around her shoulders and is wearing her favorite white Christmas socks.

Mrs. Claus has a wire ribbon bow just under her chin and cloth bows on the tops of her feet. She has a full head of white hair and is wearing her favorite Christmas bonnet.

Because she never knows when she has to drop everything she's doing to bake Christmas cookies for the elves she is carrying the cookie molds around with her.

Santa and Mrs. Clause have their place in our dining room at Christmas time. Sometimes Mrs. Claus even helps me bake the Christmas cookies. Never Santa. He's too tired.....


One of my favorite BIG Santa's is the one I made in the blue Santa suit. I have to watch out for him. He's my sister's favorite color and she has wanted him for years so when she visits I have to make sure she doesn't take him home with her.

He stands 40" tall and was made based upon a Tenderberry Stitches pattern designed by Sharon Reynolds. He is a wood and cloth doll with dowels for legs and I named him "Blue To You Santa." The pattern called for a bald Santa in a green velour outfit to I opted instead to add a long flannel hat for Santa, lengthen his pants, add a large bear to his "Toy" bag and add a sled at his feet.

He is wearing his favorite blue Christmas outfit with embroidered hearts adorning the lower band of his jacket. The nightcap he is wearing is one of his favorite as it's a very long one and he likes that for the cold winter nights. He can wrap it around his neck to stay warm. He sports a full beard, socks, and big stuffed boots.

I hope you like my favorite BIG Christmas dolls and wood crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment