Monday, September 13, 2010

Can I Mom? Can I?


Several years ago my Mom urged me to set-up a table at her church fair as the cost of the table was a donation to the church and it might provide me with an opportunity to sell a couple things. I love being outside during the Fall when it's not too hot and not too cold. So, I thought - why not.

So, my Mom and I set-up our tables. She was manning the used book and CD's table and I was right next to her. The church fair was a combination of tables consisting of handmade items, used items, food, etc. Mainly members of the church hoping to raise some money for their church.

Luckily for us it was a beautiful Fall day and my Mom and I were positioned as the first tables you would see after parking your car in the parking lot.  I had decided that I should bring one of my BIG dolls as an enticement for my table.  So, I decided to bring one of my non-scary Halloween dolls, a 39" Frankenstein, based upon a Tenderberry Stitches Design that I named "Pledge Me Frank!"

He's a Frankenstein that thinks that he is being pledged to a fraternity. He's not, but he thinks he is. I'm not sure what is going on inside his head, but he thinks he's a college student not a Frankenstein. I'm not sure how he gets around campus with his feet the way they are. One facing one direction and the other facing another direction. He definitely can't climb stairs.

His body is made of wood and his head is made of cloth. His face is embroidered and he has black bead eyes and curly black hair. Wooden pegs hang out the sides of his head.

Frank is wearing one of my husband's old black sweatshirts and is wearing some of my grandson's old jeans. His thick wool socks were my brothers. That is, until they got holes in them and then became mine. He has the words "My Heart Belongs To You Witchie Poo!" embroidered on the front of his sweatshirt and is carrying a Halloween banner.

In any event,  I had him positioned just outside my table and a little girl about 4 or 5 years old walked by him. He was about her height.

Well, she became fascinated by him and came back a couple of times and just stared and stared at him. She seemed to be fascinated by his feet.

So, I decided to ask her a question. I walked over to her and said, "Do you think there's something wrong with his feet?" She looked at me and shook her head "yes" and then looked at her mother and said, "Mom, can I have my feet like that!" Well, her mother, my mother and I all laughed at the same time. Her mother replied, "I don't think so, honey!"

We all got a good laugh out of that.

I think I sold 2 or 3 small ornaments that day, not even covering the cost of the table, but it didn't matter.  It was a beautiful day and My Mom and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Plus, we had a wonderful story to tell for years to come.  It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment