Thursday, January 23, 2020

Victorian Valentine's Day And Romance Illustrations From The Harper's Young People Illustrations Book From 1889


Nothing speaks Valentine's Day more than Cupid.  And, what Cupid is more charming than the one in the illustration above that appeared in the March 16, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 273.  The illustration above was entitled " Love's Valentine" and was drawn by Jessie Shepherd (Jessie Curtis Shepherd).

As a child I can remember getting little paper Valentines on Valentine's Day - can't you?  I can also remember my mother telling me that I could participate but I would need to give a Valentine to every student in the class.  When I asked her why I had to give one to everyone she simply smiled and said: "So no one is left out."  Given I was in the first grade back then I didn't understand the significance of that.  I certainly do now.


The illustration above was in the March 16, 1889 weekly of the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 285 and was entitled "Where Cupid Took His Valentine."  It wasn't signed so I don't know who drew it but I find it totally charming and hope you do too.

There are three little illustrations contained within this picture as well as a totally charming poem to go along with the drawings.


"I'm getting sick of Valentines" 
Said Cupid to his brother.
"And do you know I almost think
 I'll never send another.


I carried one a year ago,
 To little Rosebud May,
And found that twenty more or less, 
Had come for her that day.
Now when you send a Valentine 
"Said Cupid," what's the fun.
Of knowing that it simply counts
As "number twenty-one."
I know a child," his brother said
"A little friend of mine,
Who never yet in all her life
Has had a Valentine."
"I'll take her one," cried Cupid,
Springing lightly to his feet,
"Tell me the number of her house,
And kindly name the street."
And only waiting to be told
The best and shortest way
He spread his shining silver wings, 
And flew without delay.
He found the little girl and stood
Before her in surprise
For shabby gowns and ragged cloaks
Were strange to Cupid's eyes.
This lassie had a sweet round face
A dimple in her chin,
But ah, alas! her shoes were worn,
Her dress was old and thin.
One moment Cupid stood amazed
Then with a bow as fine
As any ever seen at court
He gave the Valentine.
"For me!" the little maiden cried
Her eye alight with joy.
"I never had one in my life
Oh, thank you little boy!"
"The thanks are mine," said Cupid,
Still bowing very low
I'll always be your Valentine
If you will have it so."
"Oh dear, how nice!" then with a blush,
"I'm very poor you know."
"Oh that's no matter," Cupid cried,
And smiling turned to go.
Now every year that little lass,
Whose dress is poor and old
Receives the prettiest Valentine
That can be bought for gold.
And Cupid tells his brother,
When e'er they chance to meet,
That rich or poor it matter not
When a little girl is sweet.


Can't you just picture the little maiden above crying: "For me!" I certainly can and love the expression on her face as well as the poem.



Sometimes  you can just feel the love even from a simple illustration, like the one above which appeared in a story about a sea captain in the May 11, 1889 weekly of the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 404.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment