Monday, May 27, 2019

Reflections On Memorial Day


For my Dad who was a corpsman who fought in World War II at the battle of Iwo Jima.  For my grandfather who fought in World War I.  For my two uncles who fought in World War II.  For my brother who served in the military.  For my brother-in-law who served in the military.   For my great, great grandfather who fought in the Civil War.  Thank you for your service to our country.

For those military men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice and who we honor this Memorial Day, thank-you from a grateful nation.  We will never forget what you did for all of us.

“Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” –Unknown

 “May we never forget freedom isn’t free.” –Unknown

“Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.” –Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well. Jennifer Granholm

“Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay, but we can honor their sacrifice.” –Barack Obama

“This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” –Elmer Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment