Monday, June 25, 2012

Silk Ribbon Embroidery and Final Beading On My Crazy Quilt 101 Purse Is Done


It's pouring cats and dogs and I'm sitting here finishing the last silk ribbon embroidery flower and final beading detail on my Crazy Quilting 101 Artful Gathering 2012 class purse.

So far I'm very pleased with the way my purse is coming out. The next step is to add the lining, the cording around the side and top edges and the strap. As mentioned in a previous Linda's Blog post I'm going to add the lining and finish the purse a little differently than Pat's instructions called for.

The class calls for sewing the sides together by hand, which is a wonderful way to finish a hand embellished purse. However, I tend to like machine stitched seams so I'm going to finish my purse another way. Instead of blind hand stitching the two finished and lined sections together and beading as I'm going along I'm going to add the corded binding to the sides of the front piece by sewing the corded binding right sides together along the edge of the front piece with the cording facing the bottom.  When the back of the purse is added and the purse is turned right side out the coding will be facing in the right direction. Similar to how you would add cording to a pillow.

Instead of pressing the interface to the lining I'm going to press the interface to the front and back of my purse. Then with right sides together I'm going to sew the front and back of the purse together. Once this is done I'm going to add the cording that is along the sides of the purse to the top edge of the purse. Once again, I'm going to sew the corded binding right sides together along the top edge with the cording facing down. When the lining of the purse is added and the purse is turned right side out the coding will be facing in the right direction.

I decided to go with a shoulder strap made out of the same cording as the sides of my purse.  I'm going to sew this to the top side edge of my purse on top of the cording along the edge with the strap cording facing down.  Once the lining is added and the purse is turned right side out the shoulder strap will be facing up with the cording along the top edge of the purse on the outside of the strap.

Then I'm going to stitch the sides of the lining together leaving a 5" opening along the bottom edge for turning. Then with RST (right sides together) I'm going to stitch the top edge of the purse, cording along the top edge of the purse, and straps together. I'll turn the bag right sides out through the opening in the bottom of the lining and then hand stitch the bottom opening of the lining closed. Then I'll position the lining inside the purse.

Once this is done my purse will be finished. I'll be sure to take a picture so you can see the final results.

I've thoroughly enjoyed taking Pat's course. If you love crazy quilting and want to learn from a terrific teacher then you'll want to take one of Pat Winter's crazy quilting classes. She has definitely created a crazy quilting monster in me. Just don't tell hubby this! LOL LOL



3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous and I like your finishing ideas too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Linda Walson, Your purse is the so beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, spectacular. Your making of miracles. Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Linda and you have some great ideas! I just finished mine and will post tomorrow. Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete