Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Victorian Girls and Dolls Pictures From The Harper's Young People Illustrations Book From 1889



I love dolls.  I love making dolls and I always loved playing with my dolls.  I also love the Victorian Era, history, and books.  So, it should come as no surprise that I would love illustrations from the Harper's Young People Illustrations Book From 1889 that I found recently.

As you might recall from a previous Linda's Blog post some of the mixed media projects this summer I created some mixed media items that required quite a bit of old book papers for collage purposes.  So much so I ran out of the book pages.


Well, in looking around the house I found an old Harper's Young People Illustrations Book from 1889 that was in poor condition and with some of the pages already missing.

I don't know where this book came from and who it belonged to.  Most of the old books I have belonged to my great Aunt Flossie but I didn't think this was one of hers.  The time-frame was right but the book wasn't signed with her name - which she always did on the inside of the front cover.

In looking at the book in poor shape and missing some of the pages I thought it still might be perfect for collage purposes so I started to tear some of the pages out.  I didn't tear too many out because right away I found myself looking at some of the beautiful black and white illustrations that were contained within the book.

They were enchanting: illustrations of Victorian children, Victorian girls with dolls, Victorian families, holiday and seasonal illustrations and more.  I couldn't help but admire the artistic capabilities of the artists who had drawn them back in 1888 to 1889.

So, while tearing out the pages I started to set some that I really liked aside. Needless to say I wound up with a large pile I wanted to keep.  That still left me with a large pile to collage with so I was happy.

Contained within the book were many illustrations of Victorian girls and their dolls.  Well, as you know, I love graphics of girls and dolls so, for sure, I wouldn't be using any of these for collage purposes.

I just love the graphics, pictured at the beginning of this post.  Unfortunately the illustrator didn't sign it so I don't know who drew it but it appeared in the May 4, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 397.  What I love about it is the little girl is reading A Harper's magazine to her bear.

Here's some of my other favorites:


The illustration above was entitled "Deserved Reproof" and was from the February 2, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 192.  It was drawn by P. Newell (Peter Newell) and the caption was: "You naughty Bess! You ought to be 'shamed of yourself for 'bein jealous of your new sister and wearing such 'spression on your face when it's Merry Christmas morning, too."


What I find so enchanting with this illustration is the young girl's eyes.  They are so amazingly expressive for a black and white illustration - don't you think?


The illustration above was entitled "Little Miss Priggins, Doly Dimple, Her Eldest Daughter, and the Nurse."  It was also drawn by Peter Newell and was on the cover of the November 24, 1888 weekly on page 18 of the Harper's Young People Illustrated book.  I just love the two dolls.


The illustration above was entitled "Little Mary Jane clung to the doll even in her sleep."  It appeared in the January 5, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 117.

It was an illustration for a story about a little girl who opened a Christmas present that wasn't for her and found a doll.  When she pressed it to her ear it said "Momma" so the little girl thought the doll was magical.  No one had the heart to tell her the doll wasn't intended for her.

What I noticed about this illustration is not only does the mother have her hair braided but it's already down to her waist so you can only imagine how long it really was.


The illustration above was entitled "I'm going to get my papa, said the tiny swordsman." I couldn't determine who drew it but it was an illustration in a story about a Union army military unit that found a package by their camp fire that contained a doll and gave it to a young family whose father was fighting for the Union. It was in the January 5, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 128.


The illustration above was entitled "Nellie's Christmas Dream" and was an illustration for another story in the January 26, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 172.


How charming  are all the little "dollies" playing while Nellie is sleeping.


The illustration above appeared in the March 23, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 300 and was entitled "A Flat Specimen."  The caption said; " Little Miss Antoinette, of Paris (and of wax), to the paper doll. Who's sat down on you?"  Can't you imagine the wax doll asking the paper doll why they were flat? I certainly can.


Looking at the illustration above you can't help but feel the little girls pain at seeing her beloved doll being swept down the river in her carriage and her dog's gallant attempt to save her for his little mistress.  This illustration appeared in the May 18, 1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 428.


What little girl doesn't want a doll who looks just like they do? The illustration above appeared in the October 19,1889 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 782.  The captions reads: "Doesn't she look just like me? She isn't a bit afraid of the water, and I'm going to teach her to swim."


The illustration above appeared on page 144 of the Harper's Young People Illustrated book and was included in a compilation of other Christmas sketches in the January 12, 1889 weekly.  I just love the elaborate costumes for the dolls and their large size.


I just love the illustration above - don't you?   It was a full page picture in the December 22, 1888 weekly in the Harper's Young People Illustrated book on page 89 and was entitled "Their Christmas Dinner."  It was drawn by Alice Barber (Alice Walker Barber.)


The details in this illustration are amazing.  Just look at the expression on the woman's face and on the face of the little girl.  Add the clothing details, the details on the painted water vase, the apples and the design on the tablecloth.  Just amazing!


I hope you enjoyed the illustrations above and found them as charming as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment