Thursday, June 23, 2016

My BIG Uncle Sam!



What would summer be like without all our Americana, 4Th of July, and Uncle Sam decorations. Well, it certainly would be boring color wise. The red, whites, and blues are always so festive and cheery looking.

One of my favorite BIG dolls and woodcraft is a self-sitting Uncle Sam that resides in the corner of my kitchen for the entire summer. He just sits there and every time I look at him I can't help but think of the role New England played in the history of this country. In particular he makes me think of the American Revolution and Paul Revere, etc.

My Uncle Sam is 32" tall and was made based upon a TLC Crafters design. He's so cheery sitting in his corner that I decided to name him "Firecracker Sam."

"Firecracker Sam" was made from 3/4" pine wood and was painted blue. Painted black stitches outline the edge of his face, beard, and mustache. Painted white stars adorn his hat and white stripes run down his pant legs. He is holding a painted wooden flag and set of firecrackers in his lap.

So, all summer long he just sits atop his pedestal. He did have one request this year and that was to know when we would be showing his favorite movie - "Yankee Doodle Dandy." I told him I wasn't sure, but I would try to make sure we showed it for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment