Sunday, November 29, 2015

I Can Do Better - My Xmas Evergreen Arrangement Decoration


Back in November of 2011 I wrote a Linda's Blog post entitled "20 Years Later and Still As Good As New!" It was about the  BIG artificial wreaths I had bought 20 years before which were still as good as new and which we take out every Christmas to decorate the front of our house.


If you would like to read that post please CLICK HERE.


This year I decided that our farmer's porch area needed some Christmas decorations, too, So we went out on Black Friday, which we hate to do, to buy a fresh arrangement of pine and evergreen branches in a container that would be suitable for the farmer's porch.


I found a container and  arrangement that I thought might work for us and would be visible on the farmer's porch. We have a row of yews along the walkway to our farmer's porch that are about 2 1/2' feet tall so I knew I'd need to put my container on something so it would be seen.

The arrangement container we bought was black in color so we decided to use a plastic black container we had turned upside down on which to place the arrangement.

I also decided that the arrangement I had bought could use more height so I added red berry sprigs and gold painted bamboo to give the arrangement height. It came with one white painted pinecone so I added a trio of 3 Christmas color bulbs and another white painted pinecone for decoration.

I'm happy with the way the arrangement looks on the farmer's porch. It's bright and festive and compliments the wreaths on the front of the house. However, I wasn't happy with the price as I know I could have made an artificial arrangement that would last forever for half the price.

So, I decided that when the floral Christmas stems go on sale at Michael's or A.C. Moore that I'm going to buy some. At the end of the Christmas holiday season I'll remove the dried fresh branches from the arrangement and replace them with artificial evergreen branches. That way I'll already have my arrangement for the farmer's porch ready for next year's Christmas holiday decorating.

It won't be as good a buy as my artificial wreaths were, but it won't dry out and will last 20 or 30 or 40 more years. For sure it will outlive me!

When I put my artificial arrangement together I'll try to create a tutorial for it so you can create an arrangement of your own. So, stay tuned for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment