Monday, March 15, 2010

A Sunflower Picture From 36 Years Ago


I know that I've mentioned many times how envious I am of artists with a natural talent for drawing. I wish I could draw - truly draw like a really good artist so I could paint wonderful faces on my dolls. Now, don't get me wrong. My favorite doll is still the faceless kind - especially if they're Victorian. And, I can draw somewhat, but I have to struggle with it. I don't have natural talent.

Fortunately, for me, I have been lucky enough, in my lifetime, to know a few people that have had natural drawing ability - probably since they were in diapers.

One such talent was my former sister-in-law who was so gifted and talented at any medium she chose.  She was one of those rare individuals (beautiful inside and out) who just knew what to do without any formal instruction.  How she knew - I don't know, but it was beautiful to watch her create.

One year she wanted to draw something for me so I told her that I'd love a flower. So, she drew the "Flos Solis maior" sunflower poster that was very popular at the time and which is pictured above.  This was the early 70's and the "hippie" generation was in vogue.

What was astonishing about it was it was larger than the poster and drawn all out of colored pencils.  I was speechless and amazed at the detail - especially in the center section of the flower.  You can't tell from the picture above, but there are intricate little details to the center area of seeds, the petals, and the leaves.

I fell in love with it and carried it with me rolled up to protect it from house to house over the years until one year I finally had it framed as shown in the picture above. 

However, the sunflower picture wasn't the only thing she created for me. She also created a beautiful watercolor abstract that, unfortunately, got destroyed when it got wet.

And, given this was back in the 70's when the musical "Hair" was all the rage she created a painting for me of the famous "Hair" poster (like the one shown in the picture below).  The colors in her rendition were so bright and vibrant - simply amazing.

This picture also traveled with me from house to house. However, I didn't get it framed, but would love to now so I could show you her amazing skill. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it right now. But, I will. It's here somewhere.


Like everything else with me images can be nostalgic and can bring you back to a time long gone.  Now, every time I look at my sunflower picture I think of her and am once again in awe of her natural talent.  The sunflower picture that she created  for me is every bit as astonishing now as it was 36 years ago.  Now, that's truly amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment