Thursday, July 25, 2019

Something A Little Different "Don Juan" Romeo


As promised in a previous post, pictured above is something a little different.  I've named him "Don Juan" Romeo as he looks like a "ladies man"to me and is definitely in search of his "Juliet."

He was created along with the other jesters in my Artful Gathering 2019 Session 1 "Leonardo Loves Zia" Class by Christina Zinnia Galliher class but utilized some of the unfinished wood pieces I had bought from Julie Haymaker's Etsy Shop several years ago.

I've been wanting to use these some of her unfinished pieces since I bought them but just never had the time or found the right application.  Well, the romantic story centered around the jesters from this class seemed perfect for their application.



In 2014 I had taken Artful Gathering "Let's Go For A Ride" class taught by Julie Haymaker.  I loved it and decided to buy some of her unfinished wood kits and clay heads.  Just click on the link above if you'd like to read my review of Julie's class.


In  any event, since this class was for learning how to make mixed media jesters I thought it would be a perfect time to use the unfinished wood heart on a carriage.  So, I decided to sponge paint the wood heart and paint the carriage black and then metallic bronze.

I was looking to create a steampunk "Don Juan" Romeo type of "ladies man" looking to find his Juliet.

I had bought some rusty steampunk bronze hearts several years ago and thought they would be a perfect embellishment for my jester stand.

A saying by John Lennon as well as two red paper hearts was added to his painted collage heart and seems very appropriate for this piece:

“Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”
John Lennon



Instead of just having the jesters head with hat on a pedestal I decided to add a Styrofoam and paper collage body which I sponge painted with complementary colors.  I added steampunk lace trim around his belly and neck to compliment his outfit and a gold glitter paper heart.

I decided to give him a large handmade paper collage jester hat and added black bead and gold glitter hearts embellishment.

Mixed media fibers were glued around the bottom of his hat and around the sides of his jester face.


Like all my other dolls, this jester has an attitude.  I don't think he's going to be happy until he finds his "Juliet."  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment