Wednesday, September 19, 2018

My Sunday Night Mill Hill Winter Holiday Cross-Stitch Ornament



It's the beginning of the Fall and my thoughts always turn to the upcoming holiday season and crafts I'd like to make to add to my already overflowing seasonal and holiday home decorations collection.  I like to think you can never have enough decorations, but that might be wishful thinking.  In reality you definitely can have to many and I am slowly approaching that.   I'll just have to swap them out from year to year.....haha

I tend to be drawn to cross-stitch kits that feature the word "Joy", which was my mother's name, or churches, especially those that remind me of the one my mother attended for so many years.  My mother loved to sing and sang in the church choir for several decades. So, when I saw the "Sunday Night" Mill Hill #MH18-1834 kit, which looks exactly like the church my mother attended,  I knew I would buy it.

The "Sunday  Night" ornament kit contained the presorted thread, 14 count perforated paper, needles (stitching and beading), beads and instructions.  It also included a magnet and instructions for adhering the magnet to the back of the ornament.  The pattern uses full counted cross-stitch, beads and outline stitching for emphasis and depth.


The pattern came with starting, stitching and 2 different back finishing instructions as well as samples of the various stitches required, beading instructions and color code chart (with code #'s, color names, and cross-stitch symbols) and a black and white chart with black and white coded symbols.  The colors and symbols on the keys and chart were easy to read and follow.

I had no problem cross-stitching the church ornament and then cutting the perforated paper close to the sides. This kit did come with instructions for finishing the back of the ornaments, as well as using the ornament for other uses.

I like to finish my ornaments with a felt backing.  I don't usually whip-stitch around the edges but decided to do so this time as I thought it would give the blue sky a more finished look.   So, I trimmed the edges, glued the felt to the back and then whip-stitched around the edges with 4 strands of the blue floss.


Instead of adding a floss hanger according to the instructions I opted to sew two strands of floss to the top of the ornament, securing the edge of the ornament with an additional stitch and then tying the ends at the top in a large knot.

I was very happy with the way my "Sunday Night" church turned out and decided to hang it along the side of a picture I have of my mother.  It looks beautiful there.


No comments:

Post a Comment