Sunday, January 16, 2022

You Can't Have Too Many Christmas House Decorations - Or Can You?


After finishing my diorama I was in the mood for a few more house creations.   If you've been following my blog all these years you know I love dolls and houses.  So, I decided to finish another chipboard house image with a ledge on the bottom.  

This time I decided to create a little wintery outdoor scene with two chipboard deer, Victorian girl and bird images, a chipboard tree, chipboard fence, Christmas wreath with red bow, cream colored miniature sisal trees, paper curtains, Christmas present, scrapbook paper door and snow embellishments.

I started by putting my house and ledge together and then painting the front, back, bottom, and sides with a bronze antiquing stain. When that was dry I painted the window, top and sides of the house and top of the bottom ledge with black acrylic paint.  

When that was dry I cut out a scrapbook paper with wood panel imagery to fit the front of the house, leaving a cut out section for the window.  Then I applied mod podge to the back of the wood panel imagery scrapbook paper with a brush and pressed it to the front of the house to make sure it adhered.  When I was sure it was secure I applied mod podge to the front of the wood panel imagery paper with a brush and also applied the mod pod to the back and sides of the house to seal the scrapbook paper, black acrylic paint and bronze stain on the back of the house.

I wanted my house to have a curved front door with curved molding so I cut a piece of green scrapbook paper to fit the front of the house with a curved top allowing for a smaller section of red scrapbook to serve as a door with a curved top.  By gluing the smaller red curved piece to the front of the larger green curved piece the red would create the image of a door surrounded by green molding.

I applied mod podge to the back of the red paper door piece and centered it on the top of the green paper piece.  When that was dry I applied mod podge to the back of the green paper door piece and centered it on the front of the house where I wanted the front door to be.


I cut out a small Victorian girl image that I wanted to place outside the front door and tested her to see if her size would work for the front door.  It did so I added mod podge to the back of her image and centered her on the front door.

After everything was dry and I was happy with the placement I applied another layer of mod podge to the front of the house, front door, and little Victorian girl image.

Before proceeding with the other pieces of the front scene I cut out a double sided piece of scrapbook paper to serve as the curtains for my window.  After making sure it fit within the window frame in the back of the house I applied mod podge to the front of it to secure it to the window frame and then applied mod podge to the back of it to seal the paper and secure it even more to the window frame.

I had a chipboard tree and chipboard fence piece that I had sized to fit my little house scene.  I painted the front, back, sides and bottom of the two pieces with green acrylic paint and then sponge painted the front and back of the tree with white and metallic light gray paint.  After the pieces were dry I applied matte medium to the front, sides and bottom of the tree and fence pieces to seal them.  I did not apply it to the back of the tree or fence pieces as I was going to apply low temperature glue to the back to glue them to the areas I wanted them in my scene.

When I was happy with the sponge painting on the tree I used low temperature hot glue to glue it to the right side of the house near the window.  I set the fence piece aside.

I wanted to use two small deer chipboard pieces (one small and one larger) in my scene so I painted the front, back, sides and bottom of the two pieces with copper metallic paint and let them dry.  After drying I applied matte medium to the front, sides and bottom of the deer pieces to seal them.  I did not apply it to the back of the deer pieces as I was going to use low temperature hot glue to the back to glue them to the areas I wanted them in my scene.  

After my deer pieces were dry I used low temperature hot glue to glue it to the front of the green tree that I had glued near the window.  I set the small deer piece aside.

Next up were the small present and two cream colored miniature sisal trees I wanted to glue within the scene on the ledge.  I applied the low temperature hot glue to the bottom of each piece and then glued them where I wanted them on the ledge.

I had decided I wanted to put the Christmas wreath with red bow above the window and door but centered on the house.  After making sure the wreath would fit I applied low temperature hot glue to the back of it and secured it where I wanted it to be. 

Next I cut out two small paper images of birds that I wanted to use on the green tree and on the top of the wreath.  I applied mod podge to the back of the birds and placed them where I wanted them.  When I was happy with the placement I brushed mod podge on the front of them to seal them to the house and tree.

I glued the fence to the front of the ledge in front of the door with the low temperature hot glue and them glued the small deer to the front of the fence.


When I was sure everything was dry and the low temperature hot glue was set I applied Alene's TruSnow along the edges of the roof, top of the door and window, on the birds, wreath, tree, window ledge, sisal trees, Victorian girl, Christmas present, fence, and front bottom and sides of the house ledge.

I looked at my little house scene and decided it was so cute there was no way you could have too many Christmas decorations - or can you?  Nah!!!

Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Written By Linda Walsh of Linda Walsh Originals and Linda's Blog. Linda is a doll maker and doll pattern designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment