Friday, June 22, 2018

A Crazy Quilt Bridal Purse For My Granddaughter


Six years ago I took an Artful Gathering class by Pat Winter on making a crazy quilt purse.  It was my first Artful Gathering class and I LOVED it.  That's when I fell in love with crazy quilting.  It was just so much fun and produced such beautiful results.


As with every craft I try, crazy quilting gave me all sorts of ideas for creating other beautiful items that I could make and give as gifts.   I had a great idea involving special occasions and bought a bunch of fine fabrics when they were on sale.  If you want to check out what fabrics I bought my post is here.  Suffice to say - there were a lot of them.


I never had the time to make any of the gifts I had in mind to do when I bought the fabrics but when one of my granddaughters got engaged to be married I decided to put some of the white and cream fine fabrics to use.

She wanted a "bohemian, garden party, woodland" type wedding so I thought a "bohemian" type crazy quilt purse to hold small things she might want with her at the wedding, like her cell phone, keys, tissues, and more, would be appropriate.

I decided to use a graphic of a Victorian bride that I had printed on fabric as the center image and arranged the fabrics in a crazy quilt pattern around that image - using Pat Winter's purse pattern that I had from the Artful Gathering class.


I added all sorts of creative embroidery laces and trims as well as silk floral, silk ribbon flowers, fringes, beaded trims, embroidered motifs, etc.


I had decided before hand that I wanted to add a white cord around the edges and use that same cord as a shoulder strap and to line the purse with a fine white fabric.  Instead of using snaps to hold the top closed I decided to use a white frog closure sewn to the top inside center of the purse.


I was pleased with the way the purse turned out.  Definitely bohemian, garden party and woodland.



No comments:

Post a Comment