Monday, November 01, 2021

My Mixed Media Witch For The Bell, Book and Cauldron Halloween Paper Doll Swap



I had so much fun with creating my first mixed media paper doll for the "Life Is A Cabaret" swap organized by Hally Levesque for the Progressive Paper Doll Party Facebook group that I decided to participate in the "Bell, Book and Cauldron Halloween Paper Doll Swap." 

The theme for this paper doll swap was "BUBBLE, BUBBLE, TOIL AND TROUBLE.... LET’S GET BUSY ON THE DOUBLE." For this swap we needed to make one paper doll and add a boo-licious recipe to it.

According to Hally: "It may be a traditional or creepy conjured up recipe, as long as it is part of the paper doll creation. (Example) ... a witch, stirring her brew plus a written recipe... just as long as the recipe is part of the doll or its presentation."

No matter what kind of doll I make they always have an opinion on what they should be and my "paper dollie" decided while being a witch she was going to be a nice witch. 

Here's what she told me: "She loves the Halloween season and having fun, but doesn’t like to scare anyone. She’d much rather have a conversation with them or teach them how to fly around on a broomstick." 

"She doesn’t like to create nasty brews but doesn’t mind creating jello brains. You might think that “jello brains” would be scary but she can assure you they are not. They’re “jello” after all."

"However, she does have a reputation to maintain and does need to be somewhat scary for that to remain intact so her solution is to create a visually scary dish but something that wouldn’t hurt a fly." 

I had no choice but to accede to her wishes.


So, I thought about what I wanted to do and decided to go with an articulated witch paper doll with moveable arms and legs. 


For the recipe I decided to have her hold a recipe book in her right hand.


She had to be mainly paper but could include some embellishments so, given how much I love mixed media, I decided she would have several embellishments, paper flowers, a creative embroidery trim, lace, several different types of fibers, paper graphic images and various scrapbook papers.


I decided to use two of my own ghost digital images, as well as several of the "brain" jello images and a scary eyeball image from one of the Halloween scrapbook paper sheets I had bought. 


I already had an idea for my "paper dollie's" face.  My biggest weakness when it comes to my dolls are painting and drawing the faces.  I can't seem to keep my hands from shaking when I have to paint tiny little details, like the face of a paper doll would be.  So, I decided to use a graphic face I had designed years ago for one of my witch e-patterns and my Spoonflower fabric designs.

I already had the graphic design face in my computer so I would be able to easily re-size it to fit my "paper dollie's" head. 

With all those ideas in mind I set about to design the body, moveable legs, moveable arms, and the front and back of her costume.  

I decided the easiest thing for me to do for the back was add a long cape so the back would be finished but nothing would interfere with her moveable legs and arms.

After finishing my paper dolI stood back to take a look at her and decided for my second "paper dollie" she had turned out okay.  

I had decided to name her "Brainna" and she was pleased with that. Phew..... lol

After taking pictures of her I packaged her up for her recipient.

I hope you like "Brainna."  I like her and, luckily, she likes herself, too.....lol


Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Written By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment