Monday, October 25, 2021

My Fall Seasonal Mixed Media Houses

In September of 2021 I wrote a Linda's Blog post about how I had made the "Putz" chipboard beach house kits I had bought from AgedWithThyme Etsy Shop. Along with posting about the kits I also posted a little about what "Putz" houses were.  You know how I love history.... lol

Well, I so enjoyed making the beach houses so much I decided to make more of the "Putz" house kits I had bought.  There were 10 kits left so I decided to make one a haunted house for Halloween and two houses for the Fall season.  

The remaining 7 would be for the Christmas and Winter holiday season.  Some of the kits were larger homes 3" x 2" by 4" and some were tiny 2" x 2" by 2" houses, which would be perfect as ornaments for the Christmas holiday season.

I selected the haunted house and fall houses I wanted to use and set the other 7 house kits aside.


I decided to start with the two fall houses and selected a larger saltbox colonial kit as we live in a saltbox colonial home and a small ornament kit.  The saltbox colonial looks very similar to our home with a few exceptions.

In any event, I had decided I wanted to make my fall kits as mixed media houses but instead of using just paper floral decorations and mixed media embellishments I wanted to use a combination of real pressed floral greenery and some paper flowers and greenery.

I had also decided to use a pine rectangle board as the base as it would make my house a little sturdier and instead of painting the top of the wood base I would use paper scrapboard from my Linda Walsh Originals Zazzle shop to collage the top side. The remaining sides and bottom would be painted dark brown.

For this house I was using small window chipboard window frames and front door frame which would make using paper collages for the sides more time consuming to create but not impossible.  I opted to paint the front door, all the sides and window frames with acrylic paint but paper collage the roof.

As this was meant to be a fall seasonal house I decided to paint the house and front door dark brown and paint the chipboard window frames, door frames, front door roof and chimney bronze.  I chose a bronze speckled paper to use for the roof.

As the windows were cut out on the house part of the kit I decided to add paper curtain decorations to the inside of the house to make it seem like the house had curtains.  After gluing the paper inside the house I then glued the bottom of the house to my wood base and proceeded to add the mixed media embellishments.

The embellishments I had in mind included some of my paper scrapboard paper, paper images and sticker images from my Linda Walsh Originals Zazzle shop.

They also included creative embroidery silk leaves, velour leaves, pressed floral greenery, mixed media fringe, paper and wire floral, silk floral flowers, and creative embroidery trim.  

I'm always amazed as to the length of time it takes to create these little houses but I finally finished all three of the houses I had in mind for the Fall and Halloween holiday season.

Here's how the larger salt  box colonial house came out:


The picture above is of the front, roof and left side view of the house.


Here's the back side of the house with some of my sunflower and pumpkin images.


The picture above is of the right hand side of the house.


The picture above is of the left hand side of the house.

All in all I was pleased with the way the larger fall house turned out so I decided to use similar embellishments and fall finishing colors for the small house, which could be used as an ornament.


Like the bigger house I decided to use a wood base for this house.  I used a small square pine wood base for this house, too and instead of painting the wood base I used paper scrapboard from my Linda Walsh Originals Zazzle shop to collage the top side.  This house would be similar to the larger house but this time I was going to use a chipboard fence around the base of my house, which I painted dark brown.

For this house I wouldn't be using small window chipboard window frames, door frame or front door roof.  Like the bigger house I opted to paint all the sides but paper collage the roof and door.

As this was meant to be a fall seasonal house I decided to paint the house dark brown and paint the  chimney dark gray.  I chose a bronze and tan paper to use for the roof.

As the windows were cut out on the house part of the kit I decided to add paper curtain decorations to the inside of the house to make it seem like the house had curtains.  After gluing the paper inside the house I then glued the bottom of the house to my wood base and proceeded to add the mixed media embellishments.

The embellishments I had in mind included some of my paper scrapboard paper, paper images and sticker images from my Linda Walsh Originals Zazzle shop as well as other paper images I had puchased over the years.

The embellishments also included pressed floral greenery, mixed media fringe yarn, paper and wire floral, and silk floral flowers.  

Here's how the smaller chipboard house came out:



The picture above is of the right hand side of the house.


The back side of the house.


The left hand side of the house.


For the roof on the smaller house I decided to add collage paper sayings to the roof to emphasize the fall seasonal theme along with the pressed floral greenery

Like the bigger house I was pleased with the way my little house came out and hope you like it too.

Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Written By Linda Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment