Saturday, June 16, 2007

The #1 Mistake of Crafters With Blogs!

I have been blogging for awhile now and have reviewed a lot of blogs for my "I Love Crafts and Craft Blogs" blog and for my "Top Blogs By Crafters Toplist." In doing so I have noticed something that I consider to be the #1 mistake of crafters with blogs.

More often than not I will come across a terrific blog by a phenomenal crafter who has a blog and maybe a website and is selling their wonderful creations on the Internet. I don't know about all of you, but if I'm thinking of buying something from a small business crafter on the web I usually want to know more about whom I may be dealing with. Or, I might have a question that I want to ask them about their creation.

So, I usually try to find something out about the blogger by looking at their "profile", their "About Me" page, or maybe a post about themselves. Sometimes there is some wonderful information about the blogger and crafter, sometimes not. However and here's the number 1 mistake of crafters with blogs - more often than not, they don't include their email address in their profile or anywhere on their blog. Sometimes they don't even include it on their website. Without the email address it is impossible for the blog customer to get in touch with the crafter. Translation - no sale - lost business.

If I'm really interested in buying something from the blogging crafter I might try and see if they have listed their website in their blog profile or listed it on the sidebar of their blog. Sometimes their website link is included in their profile and sometimes it is very visible and at the top of the sidebar, which is great. Other times it requires searching for it. At this point I think the average blogging customer would just give up.

However, since I really want to buy the product and have a question I continue searching to see if they have a website. If they do have one then, again, I look to see if they have an email address or a "contact me." Sometimes they do, and sometimes not.

What I am always amazed at is that not only is their a lack of an email address on the blog, but the blogging crafters doesn't even put their name on their blog. If you are anything like me (and I suspect most customers are) I won't buy from someone on the web who doesn't list their email address, their name or business name, their street address, and their phone number. It's one thing to buy from huge retail stores with a website. It's another to buy from a small business crafter. For the latter the customer has to feel confident that they will receive the product they are paying for and confident with whom they are dealing with. By not including this information you promote a lack of confidence in the customer for buying from you.

Now I know you'll say that you don't include you email address on your blog and your name because you don't want to be inundated with spam mail and don't want everyone on the Internet to know who you are. That is totally understandable for a personal blog. However, if you are blogging to help your small crafting business generate sales that is a major mistake. By trying to prevent unwanted spam email you prevent the very customer you are trying to entice from contacting you.

I list my email address and my main web page in the "Contact" information of my blog profile. I also have a separate article post in all my blogs that contains more information about me. There is a link to this post in the sidebar of my blogs just under my profile information. So, if the blogging customer wants to find out more about me they have all the information they need right at hand. I also list my email address, business name, business location, and business phone number in all the "Contact" information links of my websites.

So, if you want blogging customers to not only read your blog but buy your products then provide them with the means to get in touch with you.

Copyright © 2007 - All Rights Reserved - Written Linda Walsh of Linda Walsh Originals and Linda's Blog. Linda is a doll maker and doll pattern designer.


  1. I really love your blog. I love dolls too .I have them from all over the world. My son are in the mil. they send me ones from what ever country they are in. sandy

  2. Sandy, thank you so much. I'm so glad yoyu like my blog. If you have dolls from all over the world you must have a fabulous collection. That's so nice that you son does that for you.

    Have a great day and thanks for the comment.