Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day From Linda

Happy Valentine's Day From Linda!

This month is Valentine's Day and I'd like to wish all the "young at heart" lovers of the world a Happy Valentine's Day.

You might notice that I said "young at heart" so that no one would feel left out. Young, old, single, married, anyone with a pulse!

For me, it's really just another day. To this you might say, "Boy, Linda, that's a really sad statement!"

Well, actually, it isn't and here's why. I actually think Valentine's Day is really for all the young lovers of the world who somehow feel like they have to show the person they love just how much they love them. To me if you really love someone it shows all the time so there is no need for a public display any one day of the year.

And, I think it's become way too commercial. I just don't like being told I have to openly express my feelings towards the people I love on a certain day or buy them expensive gifts because someone has decided that I should.

For my husband and I, we prefer to think of every day that we have each other and each other's love as Valentine's Day. Aw...........Mush! Mush! Too much mush!

Unconditional love, compliments, hugs, lingering kisses, thank-you's, "I Love You's!" for no reason, gentle caresses, smiles when you least expect it, words of encouragement, unexpected presents, help with the chores, impish looks, laughing with each other, loving glances, doing the crossword puzzles together, cooking dinner together, finishing each other's sentences, holding hands, counting on each other, loyalty, trust, believing in each other, worrying about each other, protecting each other, that glint in the eyes when you look at each other, and tender looks each and every day are a thousands times more meaningful than a card or a present or an elaborate holiday on Valentine's Day. That's us. Some of you may disagree. But, that's my reasons why.

When I was a child Valentine's Day was exciting because they always made it seem like a special event in school. You had to buy your little box of Valentine's and make one out for everyone in your class. Special ones had to be saved for special people like "Mommy" and "Daddy" and the rest of your family. You had to have your little candy hearts with the sayings and one went in with every Valentine's Day card. Sometimes special people got two. Then, we'd hand them out in school and you'd count how many you got. The "most popular" kids always got the most.

I never really thought too much about that until one year when there was a young girl in my class who was not well liked. That year she only got a few. Yes, one was from me as my Mother's rule was that everyone in the class gets one or no one gets one. From that day on it hit me that a public display like that could be very, very hurtful for some children. I had never thought about that before. I did that day. And, the effect has never left me. I can still see her crushed face and big, tearful eyes. Forty-six years later I don't remember her name but I remember her face and how devastated she was. If it had that effect on me I can't imagine what effect it had on her.

Maybe that has something to do with my attitude towards Valentine's Day. Maybe it's the commercialization.

Maybe it's just beacuse I'm an old fool who's in love with the most wonderful, handsome, helpful, encouraging, romantic, thoughtful, protective, intelligent, humorous, best friend a gal ever had, and my one and only soulmate in the world. For me as long as I have his love and we have each other every day is Valentine's Day. Aw..... Mush! Mush! Linda, we never knew you could be so mushy!

So, for all of you who are in love with the idea of Valentine's Day I wish you a "Happy Valentine's Day!" For those of you who are still "young at heart" I leave you with a few Valentine's Day riddles:

What did the stamp say to the envelope? Stick with me and we'll go places.

What happens when you fall in love with a French chef? You get buttered up.

Knock, knock. Who's there? Justin. Justin who? Justin time! Here's your valentine.

Knock, knock. Who's there? Oscar. Oscar who? Oscar if she likes me!

and, finally - What did the boy elephant say to the girl elephant on Valentine's Day? I love you a ton! I think I'll go tell my husband that one.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.

Copyright © 2007 - All Rights Reserved - Written By Linda Walsh of Linda Walsh Originals, Linda Walsh Originals E-Patterns, and Linda's Blog. Linda is a doll maker and doll pattern designer. http://lindawalshoriginals.com

Happy Valentine's Day from Linda graphic above - Courtesy of Snowdreamz.

No comments:

Post a Comment