Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Needle Felted Daisy Shadow Box Flower Picture



One of the needle felting flower molds I had bought that I was anxious to try was the Daisy Needle Felting Applique Mold By The Each, which is shown below.

After my sister went home from our needle felting adventure I decided to try creating a daisy using the Daisy Needle Felting Applique Mold By The Each I had bought and using the wonderful alpaca roving from her alpaca Sunflower.

Compared to some of the cheap roving I had been using some of which I really think was dyed raw mohair packaged as 100% wool roving Sunflower's white roving was exceptional.  It was beautifully white, fine, free of debris, and just plain exceptional to use.


The instructions and packaging of the Daisy Needle Felting Applique Mold By The Each were similar to the instructions and packaging of the Clover Applique Mold, Rose Design mentioned above so please see my comments on my Needle Felted Pink Rose and Multi-Colored Purple Rose Mini Pictures  post as they would be the same for the Clover daisy mold and all the rest of the Clover molds I bought.

Once again, I had decided to add a stem to my daisy as I wanted to enclose this needle felted flower within a  6" by 6" by 2" unfinished wood shadowbox that I had bought with a 5 1/4" by 5 1/4" opening. I pulled a 6" long and 1" wide piece of the lime green roving that I was using for my daisy's leaves and using the pen style needle felting tool and needle felting mat just kept rolling it and felting the lime green roving until I had a long stem about 5" long and about 1/2" wide that was pretty dense. Using the single needle felt needle I felted the leaves I had created for my daisy to the left and right sides of the middle of the stem with one leaf slightly higher than the other until they were secure and then I felted the top of the stem to the center back of my daisy.

I wanted to create a bright, sunny flower for the end of the Summer and early Fall season so I thought a Daisy would be perfect and envisioned it contained within a bright and cheery sponge painted shadowbox frame.

So, I painted the unfinished wood shadowbox (except the back inside wall) first with olive green acrylic paint and then sponge painted it with a combination of medium brown, dark olive green, yellow, and white acrylic paint.  Then I applied one coat of varnish.

I  cut a piece of yellow felt backing 5 1/4" by 5 1/4" and a piece of 1" of Nu-foam backing 5 1/4" by 5 1/4" and using the needle felting punch tool felted them together.  Then, using the pen style needle felting tool,  I needle felted my needle felted daisy flower with long felted stem in a curved manner to the yellow felt and Nu-foam. Once it was felted to the yellow felt and Nu-foam I used the single needle felting needle to securely felt it in place. After I was sure the daisy was securely felted to the yellow felt and Nu-foam I hot glued this to the inside back of the shadowbox frame that I had left unpainted.


I liked how my daisy turned out and think it will make a wonderful decoration for my late summer early Fall decor.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment