Thursday, October 25, 2012

How I Made My Needle Felted White and Multi-Colored White/Burgundy Rose Pictures


Since my pink and multi-colored purple roses had come out so well I decided to create an all white rose and multi-colored white/burgundy rose using some of my sister's alpaca, Sunflower's beautiful white roving.


As I was used to the rose mold by now I had no problem putting the white rose together except I was still breaking needles. The needle felting needles do tend to break very, very easily. I ended up going through 2 more needles before I was finished with all my roses. If you're going to embark on a needle felting adventure be sure to buy lots, and lots of replacement needles as you are going to need them.


My sister and I had bought some 6" by 8" unfinished picture frames with 3 1/2" by 5 1/2" picture opening that I thought would look nice when finished with my white rose and multi-colored white/burgundy rose.  Once again,  I had decided that gluing them within the picture frame area and having them projecting out of the frame would be a nice way to finish these roses.

For these two roses, however, I wanted them to appear to be long stemmed roses so I needed to create a long needle felted stem for each.

I pulled a 6" long and 1" wide piece of the green felting that I was using for this particular rose's leaves and using the pen style needle felting tool and needle felting mat just kept rolling it and felting the green roving until I had a long stem about 5" long and about 1/2" wide that was pretty dense. Using the single needle felt needle I felted the leaves I had created for this rose to the left and right sides of the middle of the stem until they were secure and then I felted the top of the stem to the back of the white rose.

I thought my needle felted white rose would look nice with a light blue felt backing and complementary blue sponged frame so I painted the frame first with light blue acrylic paint and then sponge painted it with a combination of medium blue, lilac, yellow, and white acrylic paint.  Then I applied one coat of varnish.

I added the light blue felt backing and a small amount of batting to the 3 1/2" by 5 1/2" picture opening as backing for my rose and then hot glued my rose to the felt.


I was so pleased with the way the white rose came out that I decided to use Sunflower's white roving and some nice  burgundy colored roving I had previously bought to create a multi-colored burgundy and white rose.


I used the other 6" by 8" unfinished picture frame with 3 1/2" by 5 1/2" picture opening that I had bought for my multi-colored white/burgundy rose. Once again, I had decided that gluing it within the picture frame area and having it project out of the frame would be a nice way to finish this rose.

However, I wanted this rose to be more festive for the upcoming Christmas holiday season. So, I decided to back this long stemmed rose with dark red felt and finish the frame with holiday colors.

I pulled a 6" long and 1" wide piece of the dark olive green felting that I was using for this particular rose's leaves and using the pen style needle felting tool and needle felting mat just kept rolling it and felting the dark olive green roving until I had a long stem about 5" long and about 1/2" wide that was pretty dense. Using the single needle felt needle I felted the leaves I had created for this rose to the left and right sides of the middle of the stem until they were secure and then I felted the top of the stem to the back of the multi-colored white/burgundy rose.

I thought my needle felted multi-colored white/burgundy rose would look nice with a dark red felt backing and complementary dark red sponged frame so I painted the frame first with dark red acrylic paint and then sponge painted it with a combination of burgundy, Christmas green, Christmas red, and white acrylic paint. Then I applied one coat of varnish.

I added the dark red felt backing and a small amount of batting to the 3 1/2" by 5 1/2" picture opening as backing for my rose and then hot glued my rose to the felt.


I like how they both long stemmed roses turned out and will probably create some more of the roses as the mold is really easy to use and adding the long stem was just a matter of rolling and felting the roving. Once you get the hang of it that is pretty easy to do as well.

Copyright © 2004 - 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Written By Linda Walsh of Linda's Blog. Linda is a doll maker and doll pattern designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment